Thursday, July 23, 2009

LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN: 6 DAYS

6 Days left on the rollercoaster that has been my life for the last 2 months, cant believe I am this close to coming home.

Anywho, yesterday was a big day in Sara-land. Amanda and I woke up at 4:30am, to get ready and grab the first tube from High St. Kensington to Leicester's Square to rush for Hamlet. We decided to forgo a trip to Brighton to do this, because A) It was our only chance to go without having to miss class and B) we both weren't really up for spending a day at the beach when we can go to the beach in 6 days when we get home. All you previous study abroaders will probably be mad at me for this but, ah well. Anywho, when we got there a bit before 6th we were 8th and 9th in line, which guaranteed us a ticket. So our ass-crack of dawn wake up call would not be in vain. After making friends with the people before and after us we settled in (literally we sat on the sidewalk) for the next 4 hours till the box office opened. During which time I searched the illustrious morning coffee and breakfast for us, we read newspapers, regaled (sp?) of our trip to our line buddies, and caught up on some journaling. After FOREVER on the sidewalk and one very cold bum later we got our tickets around 10am. Amanda and I scored again on two box tickets stage right, which would later prove to be pretty darn good tickets for only 25pounds. I am really amazed at the seats we have gotten for shows this summer, pretty much 80% of them have been AMAZING and the not so amazing ones werent that bad either.

Anywho, we came back after our excursion took a well needed nap and then toured about town for awhile and went to shops and sights we have missed so far. I also got an extra duffle for all the gifts I have bought on this half. I am serious I have done some SERIOUS shopping for people. I have a huge itemized list of all the gifts I have purchased people, its ridiculous.

The show was pretty good in my opinion, and Jude Law definitely didn't dissapoint. But it was sort of the Jude Law show, and I felt the supporting cast could have done a lot more to back him cause the dude was onstage for 90% of the show and some of the other characters were just a bit lacking. Really (and I hate to say this because I love me the ladies) but the women in the cast were just lackluster, and the men were really dragging them along most of the time. I felt like Jude and the actor that played Laertes were the best in the whole show, and Laertes was really the only character that stood up to Law's level throughout the show. Ophelia was pretty eh too, I thought she could have projected more because I was pretty close to the stage and had a hard time hearing her and her crazy scene was a bit too un-crazy for me. But even though some of the supporting cast were not up to par Jude Law made up for them massively. That man had to have worked off at least 10 pounds during the show, and this was a two day show for him, so I can imagine that is how he stays in such good shape. And for inquiring minds, yes he really is that cute in real life too. He did an amazing job at Hamlet though, he had intention and projection, and his physicality was what amazed me the most. That man was up down, standing, sitting, miming, fighting, crying, screaming in seconds and each movement was fully understandable. It may from this write up seem like I didnt enjoy the production, but I did . No production is perfect, and yes Hamlet had its shaky bits but in the end it was totally worth rushing and waking up crazy early to see this interesting take on a classic.

Today, I went to cabinet war rooms and the Churchill museum which was really neat. And tonight its back to Leicester's Square for dinner and roaming about. I also have crazy homework to do! hehe
6 days
CIAO
SBC

3 comments:

Miss Molly said...

You left out a very important bit of info.. did you get to shake hands after the show when he left the theatre?

Melissa said...

I am quite jealous. Seeing Orlando Bloom in a crappy play doesn't quite measure up to seeing Jude Law in Hamlet. I'm glad you were able to though! :-)

Can't WAIT to see you SOON!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara, hope the day went well... Mom is all packed and ready for the flight to NC on Tuesday, lucky dog gets to greet you!! Love ya.
Dad